Tuesday 3 May 2011

A Quick Word With Our 2011 Scottish Ladies Champion - Dianne Ripoll

how old are you and how long have you been surfing?
I'm 25 and I've been surfing for 4 years

where did you learn? was it difficult at first?
I learnt to surf at Aberdeen beach and it was really hard at first...took me months to be able to stand up and I got really frustrated. I would go out whenever there were waves and used to go visit (my boyfriend) Allyn in Edinburgh so we would go surf down there a lot too and it was down there that I first rode down the line on a wave.

what is your favourite place to surf?
Pipe in Fiji, and also Sandend and Point of Ness in Scotland

how do you cope with the cold in Scotland?
The cold weather in Scotland totally sucks but some of the best surfs I've had have been when it's been snowing and the water is freezing… I've got a really good excel suit, gloves and boots for when it's really cold and of course, couldn't go out without the hood

where do you surf mostly?
I mostly surf Aberdeen because that's where I live but if there's waves on the north coast
then I go up to Sandend and Fraserburgh

do you travel much? Do you think travelling outside Scotland helped progress your surfing?
In 2008, went travelling and surfing for 5 months - surfed in Bali, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Hawaii and California and I think it definitely helped my surfing

why do you think there are a lack of female surfers in Scotland?
I think there is a lack of females in the line up in Scotland because surfing here isn't very glamorous and it is really cold.  You need to be really committed, surfing as much as possible all winter.  . I guess a lot of girls get put off at an early stage with the cold and the snow but if they would just persist they would get hooked like I did!

have you always been interested in competitive surfing?
I used to play tennis competitively so when I started surfing I definitely wanted to try and become Scottish Ladies Champion

how does it feel to be a Scottish Champion?
It feels really good to have won this time as I've entered it a few times now

whats your next ambition with your surfing?
It was definitely an ambition achieved, but like I say I'm not the best in Scotland until I've beaten the best so I still have a few awesome ladies to beat before I can fully achieve that ambition.  I'll keep pushing myself to get better and surf better waves but for now

what would your message to any young girls in Scotland who want to get into surfing?
My message to any girls out there trying surfing out to keep persevering. It's not easy at the start but it is so worth it once you can do it and don't feel intimidated by any guys in the line up - just show them you can surf too!  Any girls in Scotland wanting to get into surfing should get in touch. I'm going off to do my instructor course this week and I'll be doing lessons!

Dee is on Facebook for any girls who want more information

No comments:

Post a Comment