Friday 26 February 2010

Have you been injured whilst surfing/body boarding/knee boarding?

Hi all,

I am a Masters student currently studying an MSc in Sport and Exercise Medicine at Glasgow University. For my thesis I am undertaking a research project on injuries related to surfing. As a keen surfer (knee boarder) who has spent over 25 years in the water I have suffered, as well as seen many various injuries whilst out in the water. Therefore, I am keen to see if the choice of what type of surfing you participate in (stand-up/body board/knee board) can predispose you to certain types of injuries.

Many previous studies in this area have mainly looked at stand-up surfing, but as stated above, I am keen to see if your choice of surf craft can lead to particular types of injury. The injuries that I am looking for can range from the most minor cut or scrape, to more serious forms of injury. No injury is too small or too large. However, the injury that I am asking you to report must have happened during the year 2009 or early 2010. All that I ask is that you click on the link provided and answer the on-line questionnaire (https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CY8S59Y). It is completely anonymous, and please be as honest as possible.

Also, if you know of any other surfer who may have been injured, or they know of any other surfer who may have been injured, could you please forward the link onto them? They do not have to be Scottish! As the more respondents to the survey, the better understanding of the risks associated with the choice of board you ride.

If you require more information please feel free to email me on b.ferrier@napier.ac.uk and thank you for your time.

Brendon Ferrier
MSc Sport and Exercise Medicine
Glasgow University

No comments:

Post a Comment